Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Before winter's over


It never fails that as soon as the leaves begin to turn I have the urge to knit. Last September I picked up my needles and became obsessed. I thought I'd share with you all of my fall & winter knitting adventures before spring arrives.

This is a Saroyan shawl, knit in Blue Sky Alpaca's Alpaca Silk. I love the hand that the silk gives the fabric but I do think this will be the last time I knit with it - I prefer my knits with more body and less drape. This was knitted for my grandmother for Christmas. See details here on Ravelry. 


This beautiful Madelinetosh Merino DK became a Texelle Chunky Shawl for my mom's Christmas gift. This pattern (from Phydeaux Designs) was a blast to knit. It's perfect for ADD crafters since you change stitch patterns every few rows. Super fun.

As cute as those little bobbles are, by the time I had knit about 50 of them I swore I'd never knit one again - they take forever! But now I have amnesia and I'm sure I'll make this shawl again. 

This colorway (William Morris) is so tough to photograph! It goes from a mauvey-tobacco to a deep foresty teal and really changes in different light. Ravelry details here.


I volunteered to do a test knit for the first time, and what a great way to keep on track with a project! This is The Other Million striped cowl, knit in a few different heathery alpacas.

This was a great travel knit - very mindless stripes knit in the round. Choosing the stripe layout was fun and I'm sure I'll knit another next winter in different colors. Ravelry details here.


This Fisher Cabled Hat was a quick knit for my husband and made with leftover Tosh Vintage from my Terra Shawl. Ravelry details here. It has been VERY well loved this winter!


I can hardly look at this sock without wanting to stick my tongue out. The stitch pattern is fine, but I have turned this stupid heel 4 times and have switched from magic loop to DPNs twice. I finally got it, but ugh. I'm finishing these out of pure stubbornness. The only good thing about this project is the yarn, which was purchased at Blazing Needles during Sewing Summit last year.  Ravelry details here.


My Terra Shawl. Also known as my favorite knit of all time. Actually, it's probably up there with my favorite thing I've ever made, period. So many good things about this one. Yarn purchased during Sewing Summit, fantastic pattern, knit as we did a lot of traveling this fall....it's just full of good memories. I wore it for our family pictures and had my friend/hair stylist/photographer/all around awesome Erica from Johnson Photography take a few shots so I could share them with you.


The colors in this yarn are incredible - from a denim blue to deep navy with a touch of warm brown thrown in, it matches everything! Best yarn choice ever. Ravelry details (and more photos) here.


Okay, last one, I promise! It turns out I was quite productive - as evidenced by all these projects AND the tendinitis in my left shoulder. :/


This is the Happa Hat, and I only have a phone pic of it - need to remedy that ASAP since it's such a great hat and the yarn color is perfect. This was taken right after finishing it and it has relaxed and is nice and slouchy now. I love it! Ravelry details here.

I'll be back Friday to share a review of Modern Quilts from the Blogging Universe. Head over to Ellison Lane to enter her giveaway! It is such a great book - I already have two quilts planned from it!

4 comments:

  1. How very cool. I especially like the striped cowl....and if I'm ever feeling down about myself, I'll come back and read this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I especially love my hat...Although I am a little biased.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great post! I love your Terra shawl :)

    ReplyDelete